Children’s Books Summer
Summer vacation is a great time to read and relax. The following collection of children’s books summer is a complement to other literary lists you’ll find in the “Children” section of my website.
The first book in this series is an amazing balloon journey to finding a lost sibling, followed by a creative explanation of how the colors came about in this world. The Little Man in the Map is a unique and whimsical approach to learning all of America’s fifty states. Next up is Charlotte, a young girl who fell overboard and is saved by a boy named Tim who becomes her friend. Another little girl is invited by flower fairies to join in their Midsummer festival. Jack comes up with a BIG plan to save a kingdom.
With Autumn just around the corner, meet Christopher, a boy who plays in the garden and encounters a “spirited” character named September. Finally, all the train cars are loaded up by animals, the crayons hysterically quit drawing, and the construction vehicles go to sleep after a very long workday.
These children’s books summer page-turning treasures are so beautifully told and illustrated that even adults can easily get lost in its magic. Some of the books in my Top 10 list are classics, while others are new delights to discover and share. (And yes, most of them are also available in German.) If interested, just click on the titles to be linked to an online store where purchases can be easily made.
As always, I wish you a lovely and memorable story time with your children (or grandchildren).
Ten magical additions, Children’s books summer, to your storied collection—compiled by your favorite “Deutsche Oma” (German Grandmother).
[Click pictures to enlarge.]
1. Where is my Sister? by Sven Nordqvist
2. THE NUMBERLYS by William Joyce
3. The Little Man In the Map by E. Andrew Martonyi
4. TIM AND CHARLOTTE by Edward Ardizzone
5. THE FLOWERS’ FESTIVAL by Elsa Beskow
6. A bean, a stalk and a boy named JACK by William Joyce
7. Christopher’s Harvest Time by Elsa Beskow
8. STEAM TRAIN, Dream Train by Sherri Duskey Rinker
9. THE DAY THE CRAYONS QUIT by Drew Daywalt
10. Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker