Pickled Butternut Squash
Pickled butternut squash is easy to prepare and has many ways to be served as a side dish.
- 1000 g (2.2 pounds) of diced butternut squash
- 500 ml (8.45 oz) of white wine vinegar
- 250 ml (16.9 oz) of water
- 500 g (17.6 oz) of sugar
- Juice from one lemon
- Grated peel from one lemon
- ½ teaspoon of ginger in pieces
- 1 tablespoon of whole cloves
- 1 stick of cinnamon
Dice the butternut squash. Mix water with vinegar and sugar. Pour it over the squash and leave it for a minimum of 12 hours. Afterwards, drain the marinade from the squash but keep the liquid. Add the lemon juice, lemon peel, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves to the liquid marinade and bring it all to a boil. Add the squash to it and let it cook for 8-10 minutes. Put all the ingredients in a ceramic bowl, cover, and store it in the refrigerator. DONE!
NOTE: Pickled butternut squash is a good side dish with white meat, roasted potatoes, or a variety of sandwiches with cheese.