Obatzda Cheese Butter Spread
Obatzda Cheese Butter Spread. A spicy spread mostly served with soft pretzels at beer gardens and during Oktoberfest. The mild version of the spread is a the combination Camembert/Brie and cream cheese. The stronger version is a combination of Camembert/Brie and Limburger cheese.
Ingredients for Obatzda Cheese Butter Spread:
- 400 g (14.10 oz) of Camembert cheese OR Brie, ripe
- 150 g (3.5 oz) of cream cheese OR Limburger cheese
- 2 tablespoons of soft butter
- ¾ – 1 cup of onions, chopped
- ½ – 1 teaspoon salt depending on how much the cheese is spiced
- ½ teaspoon of pepper, black coarse
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of caraway, seeds
- 2 tablespoons of beer
Preparation of Obatzda:
Cut the hard rind off the cheese. Add Camembert/Brie with cream cheese, butter, beer, peeled and chopped onions, and spices to a bowl. Mix the ingredients with a handheld electric mixer until it becomes smooth. Fill the Obatzda in a bowl and chill in the refrigerator.
Sprinkle some paprika onto the Obatzda. Serve it with radishes and pretzels or with Oma’s homemade pretzels.