Currywurst Sauce Recipe
Currywurst Sauce Recipe – It’s German
The Currywurst Sauce Recipe is a German Recipe served cold over fried or grilled bratwurst cut into bite-size pieces with sprinkles of curry on top. I also like the sauce over boiled Knockwurst.
Ingredients for the Currywurst Sauce Recipe:
- 2 large yellow onions peeled and diced (500 g – 1.1 lbs)
- 800 g (1.76 lbs) of canned whole peeled tomatoes (a large can has 794 g – 1lbs 12 oz)
- 150 ml (5.07 oz) of white cooking wine OR water 75 ml – 2.5 oz mixed with 2 tablespoons of apple vinegar and apple juice
- 100 ml (3.38 oz) of orange juice OR pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste OR 1 tablespoon of tomato paste and 1 tablespoon of Worchestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons of sugar, brown
- 1 tablespoon of paprika, sweet
- 2 tablespoons of curry, optional mild or hot Madras curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper, optional
- ½ teaspoon of cloves, ground
- 1 teaspoon of salt
Preparation of the sauce
Peel the onions and cut them into small dices. Heat the oil in a skillet pan and fry the onion dice until they are transparent. Next, sprinkle the sugar over the onions and caramelize them. While stirring, add the tomato paste and cloves until the ingredients are mixed. Finally, pour the wine/grape juice, tomatoes, and orange/pineapple juice over the onions before adding paprika, curry, cayenne pepper, and salt.
Turn the heat down and let the sauce uncovered simmer for 25-30 minutes or until it thickens. Then, puree the sauce in a blender or immersion blender. Spice it to your taste. Let the sauce cool and refrigerate for a day before using it to allow the flavors to meld.
The currywurst is served with French fries or a roll.