Authentic Apple Crumb Cake
Authentic Apple Crumb Cake is called Streuselkuchen in Germany. This authentic Apple Crumb Cake is easily turned into a Cherry Crumb Cake. This yeast dough is a basic German recipe for yeast dough.
Ingredients for yeast dough:
- 500 g (17.6 ounces) of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 125 g (4.4 ounces) of melted butter
- 1 cup of lukewarm milk
- 2 eggs XL
- 1 package of dry yeast rapid rise
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
Ingredients for apple or cherry topping:
- 1.36 kg (3 pounds) of McIntosh apples OR 1 kg (2.2 pounds) of canned/jarred pitted sour cherries OR Bing cherries
Ingredients for the crumbles:
- 200g (7 ounces) of all-purpose flour
- 100 g (3.5 ounces) of sugar
- 125 g (4.4 oz) of cold butter
- 2 packages of Dr. Oetker Vanilla Sugar (should be available in the international section of your local grocery store) OR 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Preparation of the dough for authentic Apple Crumb Cake:
Mix flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Add melted butter, lukewarm milk and eggs to dough and work it with the hooks of your electric hand mixer. Continue working dough until smooth. Cover the dough and keep it in a warm place (warm room temperature or a dry place outside if you have the A/C on) for about an hour.
After an hour use a baking sheet (I use size 11″ x 17″) and line the bottom with baking paper. Roll the dough evenly on the sheet and let it rise a second time while you prepare the apples or cherries and the crumble-Streusel.
Preparation of the apple or cherry topping:
Cut the apples in quarters, peel and core them. Dice the apples in small pieces or place the cherries in a colander to drain.
Preparation of the crumbles:
Add the flour, vanilla flavor, sugar, and butter in a bowl and mix well with using your hands. Once all the ingredients have been properly combined, rub the mixture between your fingers to create the crumbles.
Finishing of authentic apple crumb cake or cherry crumb cake:
Spread the apples or cherries evenly on the dough. Next, add the streusel – crumbles on top of the apples or cherries.
Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F). Place the authentic Apple Crumb Cake or Cherry Crumb Cake on the middle rack (or second from the top) and bake for about 25-30 minutes.