German Hazelnut Cake Nusskuchen
The German Hazelnut Cake Nusskuchen is easy to prepare. The cake is baked in a loaf baking pan.
Ingredients for the German Hazelnut Cake Nusskuchen:
- 250 g (8.81 oz) of butter, soft
- 200 g (7.05 oz) of sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 5 eggs, XL
- 1½-2 teaspoons of almond extract
- 2-3 tablespoons of brandy OR cognac (the alcohol can be replace with orange juice or apple juice)
- 250 g (8.81 oz) of flour, all-purpose
- 1 package of baking powder OR 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 250 g (8.81 oz) of hazelnuts, ground OR almonds ground OR pecan ground
- 200 g (7.05 oz) of milk chocolate for the topping
- 1½-2 teaspoons of coconut oil for the topping
Preparation of the German Hazelnut Cake Nusskuchen:
Place the butter in a bowl and beat with a handheld electric mixer. Slowly add the sugar and salt to the butter. Separate the eggs and keep the egg whites in a separate container. Add one egg yolk at the time and continue beating the ingredients, until they are creamy and add the brandy/cognac.
Beat the egg whites until stiff and add them to the mixing bowl on top of the butter mixture.
Mix the flour with the baking powder and sift over the egg whites. Spread the ground hazelnuts on top of the egg whites. Fold the egg whites, flour, and hazelnuts into the butter mixture using a spatula or pastry blender.
Spread the batter evenly into a buttered loaf baking pan. Preheat the oven to 175°-180°C (350°-360°F) and bake the cake on the middle roast for 55-60 minutes. Cover the top of the cake with aluminum wrap after 45 minutes of baking time to avoid the cake from getting too dark.
Take the cake out of the oven and leave it for about 10 more minutes in the baking pan before removing the baking pan. Place the cake on a cooling rack to cool down.
Melt the chocolate and the coconut oil together in a Bain-marie and cover the sides and top of the cake with the melted chocolate. Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top or decorate to your own liking.