German Sandtorte Cake and Halloween Cupcakes
The German Sandtorte Cake is a classic recipe. The batter can be used for cupcakes in a ice cream cone.
Ingredients for German Sandtorte Cake:
- 5 eggs, XL
- 300 g (10.5 oz) of sugar
- 2 packages of Dr. Oetker vanilla sugar OR 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 250 g (8.8 oz) of potato starch OR corn starch
- 100 g (3.5 oz) of flour, all-purpose
- 250 g (8.8 oz) of margarine
- 1 package Dr. Oetker Baking powder OR 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of rum
- 150-200 g (5.29-7.05 oz) of semi-sweet baking chocolate (for brushing the cake)
- 1 teaspoon of shortening OR coconut oil (for brushing the cake)
Preparation of German Sandtorte Cake:
Beat the eggs with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer. Slowly add sugar, vanilla sugar/extract, salt, and rum and mix until creamy.
Combine potato starch, baking powder, and flour. Use a sieve to sift the the combined ingredients into the egg-sugar mixture. Mix well. Melt the margarine and add it slowly to the batter.
Fill the batter into a buttered Springform pan 26-28 cm (10-11 in). Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F) and bake the German Sandtorte Cake on the middle roast for 45-55 minutes. Turn the heat of the oven off.
Open the door of the oven and leave the cake for 10 more minutes in the oven before taking it out of the Springform pan. Place the cake on a cooling rack.
Melt the chocolate and shortening or coconut oil in a bain-marie. Brush the cake with the melted chocolate.
Decoration for Halloween Cupcakes:
- 24 ice cream cake cones (in grocery stores)
- candy corn
- sprinkles in Halloween colors
- m&m minis
- 100 g (3.5 oz) of white chocolate
- 100 g (3.5 oz) of semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon of shortening OR coconut oil
Preparation of Halloween Cupcakes:
Prepare the batter for the Halloween Cupcakes as described above.
Fill a 16-inch decorating bag with the cupcake batter. Using a batter dispensing tip, fill the base of the cake cones up until the first edge. (See picture below). It needs to be filled by more than the half, otherwise the batter will not rise above the top of the cone.
Stand all the cones on a baking sheet for small cupcakes or muffins.
Bake your Halloween cupcakes on the middle rack for about 22-25 minutes at 180°C (360°F).
Have the chocolate (both white and semi-sweet) broken and placed each in a small metal bowl. Add some shortening to the chocolate, which makes it very smooth. Put each bowl in a pot of water (bain-marie) and melt the chocolate on the stove. Brush the chocolate onto the top of the cupcakes (half of your batch with white chocolate and the other half with semi-sweet). If you want to use more decoration, sprinkle it immediately onto the chocolate before it dries. and immediately sprinkle on the toppings. The toppings will stay securely in place once the chocolate hardens.
The recipe of the red wine chocolate cake is also ideal to make either a cake or cupcakes.