Cheese Fondue Recipe – Käsefondue
The cheese fondue recipe consists of Swiss cheese and Gruyere cheese. Depending on personal taste, good choices also are Parmesan, Romano, Gouda, Cheddar and Edamer. Whatever combination of cheese you choose it should add up to about 800 g – 1.76 lb. of cheese. The recipe serves about four people.
Ingredients for Cheese Fondue Recipe:
- 400 g (14.1 oz) of Emmenthaler Cheese
- 200 g (7.05 oz) of Gouda OR Edamer OR Cheddar
- 200 g (7.05 oz) Gruyere Cheese or Parmesan or Romano
- 2 tablespoons of blue cheese (optional)
- 400 ml (13.52 oz) of White Wine, dry
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of Kirschwasser (Cherry Brandy OR clear, colorless Fruit Brandy)
- 1 pinch of white pepper
- 1 pinch of paprika
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
Preparation of the cheese:
Grate the cheese and set aside.
Peel the cloves of garlic and cut into halves. Rub the fondue pot on the inside with a half of the garlic. Add the white wine to the saucepan, heat it up and let it simmer. Gradually stir the cheese into the simmering wine to melt. Mix until smooth and add blue cheese and spices. Press the garlic through a garlic press into the cheese mixture.
Dissolve the cornstarch in the Kirschwasser and stir it into the cheese. Remove the pot from the stove and place it on the stand over the burner. Serve the fondue with baguette, vegetables, and fruit. You could use Oma’s homemade baguette recipe.