German Kartoffelgemuese Sour Potatoes
The German Kartoffelgemuese Sour Potatoes can be served as a main dish with ring bologna, Wieners, and Frankfurters or as a side dish to fish. It is also known as “Sour Kartoffelgemuese”.
Ingredients for German Kartoffelgemuese Sour Potatoes:
- 800 g (1.76 lb) of small red potatoes, net weight after boiling and peeling
- 200 g (7.05 oz) of carrots, peeled
- 300 g (10.58 oz) of onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons of butter (½ of a stick)
- 3 tablespoons of flour, all-purpose
- 1 l (1.05 qt) of water
- 100 g (3.52 oz) of pickles
- 2 tablespoons of apple vinegar
- 3 cubes of Maggi vegetable bouillon
- 2-3 bay leaves, depending on size
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon of marjoram leaves
- ground pepper, white
- 2 tablespoons of flat Italian parsley, chopped (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons of crème fraîche OR sour cream (optional)
Preparation of the Potatoes:
Place the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and boil them for 18 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the stove and place the potatoes in a colander. Rinse under cold water and peel. After the potatoes cooled down cut them into slices.
Preparation of Bouillon, Carrots, Pickles, and Onions:
Add the water to a saucepan and add the cubes of bouillon. Heat it up until the cubes are dissolved. (Takes in a microwave on high 1 ½ minutes). Remove the saucepan from the stove and place aside. Peel the carrots and slice with a knife. Peel the onions and dice them with a food chopper or a knife. Cut the pickles length wise in quarters and dice the quarters.
Preparation of the Kartoffelgemuese:
Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onions and roast them until transparent. Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are well mixed. Slowly add the bouillion to the onion mix and stir with a whisk until combined.
Add the vinnegar, bay leaves, cloves and majoram leaves to the saucepan and mix. Add the carrots to the pot and bring to a boil. Turn the heat back and let it slowly cook for 20-25 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves and cloves. Add the diced pickles and potatoes to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Season to taste with vinnegar, salt, and pepper. Turn the heat off and add the crème fraîche. Stir, until the crème fraîche is dissolved.
Serve the German Kartoffelgemuese Sour Potatoes with ring bolongna, Wieners or Frankfurters. I like it best without meat or fish just with a roll. You might want to try also the German Potato Soup.