German Quark Balls Recipe – Quarkbällchen
The German Quark Balls Recipe looks like doughnuts, but the dough is made with baking powder instead of yeast. The taste is different because of the quark used. The texture is crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Originally made with quark, they also can be prepared with drained Greek yogurt or a mixture of mascarpone and sour cream.
Ingredients for the German Quark Balls Recipe:
- 2 eggs, XL
- 75 g (2.65 oz) of sugar
- 1 pouch of vanilla sugar OR 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 250 g (8.81 oz) of Quark OR drained Greek yoghurt OR 125 g (4.4 oz) of mascarpone mixed with 125 g (4.4 oz) of sour cream
- 200 g (7.05 oz) of flour, all-purpose
- 50 g (1.76 oz) of corn starch OR potato starch Or Gustin
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 500 ml – 1000 ml (1.05 pt – 1.05 qt) of sunflower oil OR vegetable oil (depending on the size of the saucepan)
- 3 tablespoons of sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to roll the balls OR 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar to sift over the balls
Preparation of the dough:
Mix the eggs, sugar, and vanilla sugar/extract in a mixing bowl and beat with a handheld mixer until creamy. Add the quark or mascarpone/sour cream mix and beat until ingredients are combined. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, starch, and baking powder and slowly add them to the egg mixture while continually stirring. Cover the bowl with a cellophane wrap and let the dough rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
In the meantime, prepare the working space next to the stove. Pour the oil into a saucepan and add a thermometer. Cover a cooling rack with a paper kitchen towel and have a fork and skimmer spoon next to it. Mix the sugar with the cinnamon.
Frying of the Quarkbällchen:
Heat up the oil to 170°C – 335°F. Use two tablespoons to shape the dough into balls. Let them slide into the hot oil and deep-fry for 3-5 minutes. Turn them around with a fork. The balls should have the size of a golf ball and float in the oil, not touching each other.
Take the balls out using the skimmer spoon. Place them on the cooling rack covered with the paper kitchen towel to drain the excess oil.