German Rice Pudding – Milchreis, Reisbrei
To prepare the German Rice Pudding, I use Sushi Rice, which is very close to the Arborio Rice also sometimes used.
Ingredients for the German Rice Pudding:
- 1000 ml (1.05 qt) of whole milk
- 250 g (8.81 oz) of Sushi Rice
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 pouch of vanilla sugar OR 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- pinch of salt
For the topping:
- 1 tablespoon of sugar mixed with one teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- OR fruit, canned or fresh
- OR sour cherries, cooked and thickened with potato starch
Let the rice soak for 30 minutes in cold water; the water should be 2.5 cm – 1 inch above the rice. Mix the milk, sugar, vanilla sugar, salt, and butter and bring it to a boil and turn the heat down. Drain the rice in a sieve to drain it and add to the milk mixture.
Bring to a boil again while stirring. Turn the heat down to low, cover the saucepan and let the rice simmer for 20 minutes. Take the pot off the oven and stir the rice pudding using a spoon. Cover the saucepan again, and let it steam for 10 more minutes.
Sprinkle a mix of sugar and cinnamon on top, or serve it with fruit.