German Schokokuss Sweets
The German Schokokuss Sweets are made with beaten egg whites and sugar syrup, covered with dark chocolate. The Schokokuss is also known as Schaumkuss or Topkuss in Germany.
Ingredients for German Schokokuss Sweets:
- 100 g (3.52 oz) of pasteurized egg whites (available at grocery stores)
- 200 g (7.05 oz) of sugar
- 1 heaped teaspoon of the gelatin
- 1 tablespoon of water for the gelatin
- 3 ½ tablespoons of water for the sugar
- 12 ice cream cups OR very thin round cookies OR plain water crackers without flavor OR Backoblaten (waffles) round 5 cm available here (I prefer the Backoblaten)
- 140 g – 200 g (4.93 oz – 7.05 oz) of bittersweet chocolate, white chocolate, dark chocolate (depending on what waffle or cookies are used)
- 1 teaspoon of shortening OR coconut oil
Mix the gelatin with 1 tablespoon of water in a container and let it soak for about 5 minutes. Beat the egg whites with an electric hand mixer until stiff. In a saucepan mix 3 ½ tablespoons of water with the sugar and place it on the stove. Bring it to a boil, while constantly stirring with a cooking spoon. Let it boil for about 1-2minutes, until the syrup is clear or has reached the temperature of 120°C – 130°C (248°F – 266°F). Slowly add the hot syrup to the beaten egg whites while constantly stirring until creamy. Place the gelatin with the container in a saucepan with water (bain-marie) and heat it up until the gelatin is dissolved. Add the gelatin to the egg/sugar mixture and beat.
Fill the egg mixture into a decoration bag using a tip with a large hole. Let it cool in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
If you are using the ice cream cups, melt the chocolate with the shortening or coconut oil in a bain-marie until it has melted. Cover the inside of the ice cream waffles with the melted chocolate and let it harden. Fill the waffles with the egg mix about 2 ½ cm (1 in) above the edge of the waffles. Dip the filled waffles in the melted chocolate and let them dry.
If you are using thin cookies, crackers or Backoblaten (waffles), place them on baking paper and press the egg cream onto the Backoblaten as shown in the picture below. Let them harden for about 10 minutes in the refrigerator. Melt the chocolate and shortening or coconut oil in a bain-marie until the chocolate has melted. Cover the cream with the melted chocolate using a spoon.