Noodle Casserole Recipe
The Noodle Casserole Recipe is easy to prepare. Noodle Casserole is called Nudelauflauf in Germany. You can prepare the casserole ahead of time and place it in the oven when you are ready. The finished Noodle Casserole can also be frozen in smaller portions.
Ingredients for the Noodle Casserole Recipe:
- 454 g (16 oz) of elbow macaroni
- 908 g (2 lbs) of ground beef
- 200 g (7 oz) of diced onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 794 g (28 oz) of diced tomatoes canned OR fresh tomatoes
- 170 g (6 oz) of sliced mushrooms in a jar
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil OR olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of coarse black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- 2 ½ teaspoons of salt
- 200 ml (6.76 oz) of water
Ingredients for the cream sauce for the Noodle Casserole Recipe:
- ½ teaspoon of lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 4 wedges of The Laughing Cow creamy swiss cheese
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 400 ml (13.5 oz) of whole milk
- 3 tablespoons of sour cream
- ½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 2 ½ tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks XL
Preparation of the Noodle Casserole:
Add two teaspoons of salt to a pot of water and bring it to a boil. Add in the pasta and cook as described on the package. When done, rinse the macaroni in colander and set aside.
Heat up the oil in a pan. Add in the diced onions and diced garlic and sauté until transparent. Add in the ground meat and fry until all sides are brown and the pieces are crumbly. Spread the flour over the meat mix and stir.
Add the tomatoes and the mushrooms and stir until all ingredients are evenly mixed. While continually stirring, add the water slowly and finally mix the sour cream into it. Add in the spices, stir again and put the meat aside.
Preparation of the cream sauce for the Noodle Casserole Recipe:
In a separate pan, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until the flour has dissolved. Use a whisk and slowly add the milk. Melt the cheese in the liquid. Add in the egg yolks while constantly stirring, and then add in the sour cream and lemon juice. Stir the sauce, add in the spices and remove from heat.
Finishing of the Noodle Casserole:
Use a buttered baking pan (the size of my pan is 10″ x 16″ x 2.5 ” high). Place half of your pasta in the pan. Add the meat and spread it evenly over the macaroni. Add the other half of the pasta and spread it over the meat. Pour the cream sauce evenly over the last layer of noodles.
Preheat your oven to 200°C (400°F). Place your Casserole on the second rack and bake it uncovered for about 25 minutes.
This recipe serves about 8 to 10 people, but you can easily divide the ingredients and make only half a portion. Serve the Noodle Casserole with Oma’s Boston Salad or with my Chinese Cabbage Salad. To try the Ham Noodle Casserole click here and the Green Bean Casserole click here.