Green Bean Salad
Green Bean Salad is called Bohnensalat in Germany. I make the salad with canned beans or fresh beans, depending on the time of the year.
Ingredients for Green Bean Salad:
- 4 cans (each 411g – 14.5 oz) of French-cut green beans OR 1 kg – 2.2 lb. fresh green beans
- 1 ½ tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- 3 tablespoons of very finely diced onions
- 3 stems of fresh savory or tried savory (a good substitute is oregano)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
If you use fresh green beans, wash the beans, cut off both ends and cut them into small pieces. Bring a saucepan with water to a boil and cook the beans for about 12 – 15 minutes. Remove the beans from the stove and drain them in a colander under running cold water. If you use canned beans, drain them in a colander.
For the dressing: Mix oil, vinegar, and sour cream together. Now add salt, pepper, and sugar to it and mix well. Wash the fresh savory or oregano and pick the leaves from the stem. (Do not use the stem!) Dice the onion in a food chopper and add the onions and savory to the dressing and spread it evenly over the beans. Mix thoroughly. I find that using salad hands works best. Let the salad sit for a while in the refrigerator before serving.