German Onion Cake Recipe
This German Onion Cake Recipe is easy to prepare. The Onion Cake may be served as an appetizer and also as a main dish. The Onion Cake is traditionally served with freshly made wine (fermenting new wine) in Germany.
Ingredients for German Onion Cake Recipe:
- 500 g (1.1 lb) of flour, all-purpose
- 1 pouch of dry yeast, rapid rise
- 300 ml (10.2 oz) of milk, lukewarm
- 1 teaspoon of salt for dough
- 1 teaspoon of salt for filling
- 50 g (1.8 oz or 3 tablespoons) of butter, melted
- 1000 g – 1200 g (2.2 lb – 2.64 lb) of sweet onions, cut in strips
- 200 g – 250 g (7.05 oz – 8.81 oz) of smoked bacon, cut or diced
- 3 eggs, XL
- 1 ½ teaspoons of caraway seeds
- 1 cup of sour cream
Preparation of the Cake:
Mix the sifted flour with the yeast, salt, milk, and melted butter to a smooth dough. If the dough is too dry carefully add some more milk. If necessary, work the dough with your hands. Cover and let it rise for about 2 hours.
Fry the bacon in a frying pan until the bacon is almost fully cooked. Do not remove the fat. Add the onions and fry them until they look transparent. Remove the frying pan from the stove and let the bacon and onions cool. Set aside.
Line a baking sheet with baking paper (I used a sheet of 11″ x 17″). Roll the dough on the table until you have a dough the size of your baking sheet. This yeast dough is very dry, almost like a pizza dough. Place the rolled dough on the baking sheet and let it rise for about 20 more minutes.
In the meantime mix the eggs with the sour cream, salt and caraway seeds in a bowl. Add the bacon and onions and mix thoroughly. Spread this topping evenly on top of the dough.
Preheat the oven to 180°C – 200°C (356°F – 392°F). Place the onion tart on one rack below the top rack in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.