Homemade Pasta Salad
Homemade Pasta Salad is called Nudelsalat in Germany.
Ingredients for Homemade Pasta Salad:
- 250 g (9 oz) of elbow macaroni
- 3–4 hard boiled eggs
- 6 pickles
- 1 jar 280 g (10 oz) of white asparagus
- 1 can 425 g (15 oz) of sweet peas (very young small)
- 1 can 411 g (14.5 oz) of sliced carrots
- 1 jar 198 g (7 oz) of pimiento strips
- 1 can 113 g (4 oz) of sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 6–8 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- splash of lemon juice
- 226 g (8 oz) of sliced cooked ham
Preparation of Homemade Pasta Salad:
Bring a pot of water with about 1 tablespoon of salt to a boil and add elbow macaroni. Boil for about 7–8 minutes. Pour the elbow macaroni into a colander and allow the hot water to drain. Cool down the pasta by running cold water through the colander, drain and place the macaroni into a bowl.
Open the cans of vegetables and drain the water using a colander or sieve. When drained, dice the asparagus, pimiento, mushrooms, carrots, and cucumber into small pieces. Cut the ham into slices and then into bite-sized pieces. Cut the eggs into thin slices (preferably, use an egg slicer, if you have one).
Combine the vinegar, oil, and lemon juice and mix it with the macaroni. Add the vegetables to it along with the ham and eggs. Mix using large utensils or use salad hands. Add the mayonnaise. When all the ingredients are mixed, taste to determine if you need to add any additional salt or sugar. (This usually depends on how well the pickles and vegetables have been seasoned). Serve your Pasta Salad as a side dish to barbecue with a slice of Oma’s sliced Homemade Baguette.