German Apple Dessert – Hessian Apple Dream
This German Apple Dessert is a type of tiramisu. The recipe is from the State of Hesse in Germany. This is a delicious, refreshing dessert, quick and easy to prepare, and the result is just a dream. No baking required!
Ingredients for German Apple Dessert:
- 200 g (7.05 oz) of Lady Fingers
- 4-5 tablespoons of Calvados (Apple Brandy) OR apple juice OR mixture of both
- 700 g (1.65 lbs) of apples (Rome, Fuji, Braeburn)
- 350 g (12.34 oz) of mascarpone
- 280 g (9.87 oz) of quark OR plain whole milk yoghurt OR sour cream
- 100 g (3.52 oz) of sugar
- 2 packages of vanilla sugar OR 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 150 g (5.29 oz) of heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon of cacao OR cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of sugar for apple sauce
- 3 tablespoons of water for apple sauce
Preparation of German Apple Dessert:
Cut the apples into quarters, take the core out and peel. Cut the quarters in the center. Place them in a saucepan with water. Spread sugar over the apples, bring to a boil. Cover, turn the heat down to medium and let the apples steam for about 5-10 minutes depending on the kind of apples you have used. Make sure to check on the apples and stir with a wooden spoon from time to time.
Remove the apples from the stove and mash them to a chunky applesauce with a potato masher. If you like to have the applesauce less chunky, pass the apples through a sieve. Let it cool down.
Beat the heavy whipping cream until stiff. Mix mascarpone, quark or plain whole milk yoghurt or sour cream, sugar, and vanilla sugar or extract until smooth. Add the whipped cream and mix all ingredients.
Finishing of the Apple Dessert:
Use a casserole dish to finish the dessert (the measurements of my dish are 34 cm x 23 cm x 5.5 cm — 13.38 in x 9.0 5in x 2.16 in). Place the Lady Fingers on the bottom and sprinkle the Calvados or Calvados mix onto the Lady Fingers. Spread the applesauce on top and finish off with the mascarpone cream. Use a serving fork make a pattern in the cream.
Place the Apple Dessert in the refrigerator and let it soak and chill for about 6 hours. Before serving sprinkle some cacao or cinnamon on top and decorate to your liking.