Potato Casserole Recipe – Kartoffelauflauf
This Potato Casserole Recipe is a dish made with boiled potatoes, cut and layered in a baking dish. Easy to prepare ahead of time.
Ingredients for Potato Casserole Recipe:
- 1.36 kg (3 lbs) of potatoes (Yukon baby gold)
- 226 g ( 8 oz) of shredded cheese (Italian five cheese)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- ⅛ l (4 oz) of water
- 226 g (8 oz) of sour cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- salt (be careful with salt because there is also bouillon in this recipe)
- butter OR oil to grease the dish (I used sunflower oil spray)
- 2–3 tablespoons of butter for the topping
- 2–3 tablespoons of bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon of flour
Preparation of the casserole:
Boil the potatoes for about 15 minutes. Once they have cooled down, cut them into slices and layer them in a greased casserole dish.
Place water and bouillon cubes in a bowl and place in the microwave to dissolve the bouillon. Mix sour cream with egg yolks and flour. Slowly add in the cooled down bouillon, then nutmeg, pepper, and a little salt. Spread mixture evenly over the potatoes. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top and finish off by sprinkling the cheese on top of the breadcrumbs. Cut the butter in thin slices and place them evenly on top of the cheese.
Preheat the oven to 205ºC – 225ºC (400ºF – 437ºF). Place your potato casserole uncovered on the middle rack and bake for about 30 minutes.