Italian Plum Cake
Italian Plum Cake is called Zwetschgenkuchen or Pflaumenkuchen or Ruehrkuchen mit Pflaumen in Germany. This recipe makes two Plum Cakes in a springform pan.
Ingredients for two Italian Plum Cakes:
- 2 kg (4.4 lb.) of Italian plums/prunes
- 500 g (17.6 ounces) of sugar
- 250 g (8.8 ounces) of butter OR margarine
- 4 eggs XL
- 500 g (17.6 ounces) of all-purpose flour
- 1 package of Dr. Oetker Baking Powder OR 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 package of Dr. Oetker Vanilla Sugar OR 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 200 g (7.05 ounces) of crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon of rum
Preparation of the Italian Plum Cake:
Mix the soft butter or margarine with a handheld mixer. Combine sugar with vanilla sugar and add it to the butter and mix thoroughly until the texture is consistent. Add one egg after another and continue mixing until the mixture is creamy. Add the rum. Mix the flour with the baking powder and sift it over the batter until the consistency is even. Add the crème fraîche and mix it.
Wash the plums and cut them so that the pits can easily be removed while still keeping the two halves of the plums connected on one side.
Divide the batter evenly for two cakes and fill the batter in buttered spring forms (10″ or 11″). Set the plums on top of the dough and push them slightly into the batter.
Preheat the oven to 175°C–185°C (350°F–365°F). Place the cake on the middle rack and bake the cake for about 60–70 minutes. Remove the cake, open the springform and let it cool down. Sprinkle some sugar over the Italian Plum Cake to sweeten it and place it on a serving plate using a cake lifter.